2012/04/20

Greetings from Kyoto!

Alright...
1) I didn't bring my laptop with me, so there won't be any picture sharing until I get back to school.
2) I'm using the hostel's computers which, sadly, I have to pay to use, so blogs will be kept short and sweet this weekend.

ANYWAYS...
I went to class this morning and had to suffer through recording and listening to myself talk. Unfortunately, nothing has changed since I was first forced to speak in a recorder at the start of the semester. Having our instructor spring this on us at the start of class didn't help me prepare anything I wanted to say. In short, I had nothing good to say about myself after language lab today, which is not what our instructors wanted, but too bad.

After class, I ate lunch, packed a bag, and went to Nagoya Station.

I RODE THE SHINKANSEN TODAY! Yeah, it was pretty cool. Didn't see too much whizzing by at light speed because I actually dozed off for part of the trip. A 40-minute train ride is so much better than a three-hour bus ride. Yes.

I love the K's House hostels because when you've stayed at one, you know that the rest will be bright yellow and blue buildings. I found my way to the hostel from Kyoto Station without a problem, checked in, threw my crap onto my bed, and immediately left again.

I learned that I'm about a 30-minute walk from Kiyomizu Temple, and that included stopping to see stuff along the way. Wandered around the outside as I kinda got there after there entrance/ticket booth closed, but it was still a pretty walk around the rest of the area. LOTS OF SHOPS TO MEANDER THROUGH.

Hit a bit of Gion district as well before I looped back around the area to head back to the hostel. In my wanderings, I did catch a glimpse of one geisha, but she was noticeably rushing to an appointment. Later in the evening, I saw a geisha with her maiko, but they were also not available to bug, if I had the guts to go up and ask for a picture in the first place.

I also found a Book-Off where I spent money. After that, I had every intention to double back to an okonomiyaki restaurant, but instead got sidetracked by a pub next door to Book-Off. Got to sit back with a pint of Strongbow and even caught some rugby on TV. Good dinner. Can't complain. ADDITIONAL: I'm so glad I have the knowledge to tell one sport from another. Felt sorry for a guy two tables over as he was trying to explain the difference between American football, soccer, and rugby to his half-drunk girlfriend.

After that I walked through another shopping district that I need to go back to when all of the stores aren't getting ready to close for the night.

Experienced Friday night's finest as I was walking back to my hostel--a street full of drunk salary men as they stumbled past all the karaoke bars and night clubs (I believe there were also a few host bars down that street, too). 

MY WATCH BATTERY HAS ALSO DIED. I'M SO PISSED.

Anyway, I'm going to read for a little bit before bed. Get to look forward to an early morning and a day of walking a new part of the city!

(Okay, this was rather long. Gotta milk these 30 minutes on the computer for all they're worth!)

Until tomorrow! ^_^v

No comments:

Post a Comment