2012/04/01

BASEBALL SEASON!!

Joined a friend of mine for mass this morning as it was Palm Sunday. I'm still so very glad that I know the mass parts in English so that I could follow along in the service somewhat well. I could even understand a little in the readings and gospel when I listened hard enough. It's also very cool to hear some of your favorite hymns sung in a different language. Hooray for being able to read the hymnal!

After mass, I did indeed go watch the Dragons play the Carp this afternoon. I had to ask for help from three different people to figure out where to buy tickets and what section I'd be sitting in, then ask two more times to figure where my seat was in the stadium. Yeah, fun learning experience. Couldn't complain too much though, because my seat was about 20 rows up on the third base line. The price wasn't bad at all, either.

IT WAS SO AWKWARD BEING THE ONLY FOREIGNER IN THE SEA OF FANS.

So for about two innings I tried to make myself as small as possible, yet still being attentive to the game.

It was quite different from going to a pro baseball game back in the States. The atmosphere of the stadium and the spirit of the fans can't be found back in the States. Each team has a distinguished cheering section whenever they were at bat. Each player was cheered for until he either got onto the bases or was called out. There was no name-slinging or put-downs whenever a play went bad. Sure, it was a little frustrating when your team couldn't get onto the bases or make it home and score, but it was brushed off quickly and replaced with cheering all over again.

Oh yeah, the Dragons also had cheerleaders come out onto the field every few innings as well.

After observing those first two innings, I was cheering along right with everyone else. I even found myself biting my tongue every once in a while when I wanted to yell at the opposing team, but rather gave them applause when it was called for. What's more important--and this could be shocking for people who know I'm not that big of a sports nut-- is that I FOUND MYSELF ENJOYING THE BASEBALL GAME. Really, had a blast. Totally going to another game or two, or three... Okay, so I want to catch a game for each of the teams in the central league.

AND OH MY GOD THE DRAGONS HAVE THIS CHUBBY, BRIGHT PINK DRAGON WITH MASSIVE SHOES as one of their mascots. Nothing should be that cute. Man, and I thought Dinger was a silly mascot for the Rockies. Yeah, bright pink dragon trumps purple triceratops.

Sorry that I ran out of my apartment without grabbing my camera, but I'll be sure to have it at the next game I go to. I will also be sure to arm myself with some awesome plastic, noise-making WHACKY BATS as well.
Yes, WHACKY BATS. That is what I decided to call them.
WHAT? IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE! You have to plastic bats and you whack 'em together to make noise.

Okay, I really need to finish homework now. Until tomorrow! ^_^v

No comments:

Post a Comment