And I'd love to go again this spring! It was a great night. I was sad and slightly disappointed at those fellow schoolmates of mine who got bored and left early. Really? You knew that it was going to be an event that lasted the entire evening, you even sat through an orientation explaining a typical play, and yet you got BORED. Why'd you even pay for a ticket? Oh well, it's their loss. They missed the best parts of the play.
So, I was able to go see an English production of a traditional kabuki play back in Portland. It was very entertaining, and what's better was that I could understand what the actors were saying. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE TONIGHT, including but not limited to the following reasons:
1) All-male cast.
2) Amazing mechanical stage, with parts that rotated the sets around as well as moving up and down. VERY COOL.
3) Eye-catching fight scenes, including one on a rooftop.
4) Continuous music throughout the play.
The downside was the classical Japanese script. Very hard to understand, even if you're fluent in the modern language. As a current student of the language, it was near impossible. I was able to catch a little of the text here and there, but for the most part, I was getting the story just through the actions of the actors. If you'd like to read about the play I saw, please follow the link below and read the summary titled "Aotozoshi Hana no Nishikie."
http://www.aichi-gakuin.ac.jp/~jeffreyb/kabuki.sum7.html#rascals
I would have loved to share pictures, but 1) I was getting crappy shots from where I was sitting, 2)photo taking wasn't allowed during the play anyway, and 3) I forgot to charge the camera's battery. So sorry!
Okay, now I need to convince myself to do homework.... Hooooommmmeeewwwwoooorrrrrk...
-____-
Until tomorrow~~ ^_^v
No comments:
Post a Comment